Monday 12 May 2014

Never a dull moment @ Acorns of Lyndhurst B&B

Acorns of Lyndhurst B&B 

The last few weeks have been very eventful at Acorns of Lyndhurst as those of you who follow me on Facebook and Twitter will know. 


My mum has been staying with us for a while and unfortunately or maybe fortunately for her I ended up taking her to Southampton A&E 2 weeks ago and she was diagnosed as having DVT in her left calf.  I say fortunately for her because it needed to be found as it's dangerous walking around with clots. I have to say that all the staff in the hospital over the 3 days that we were there were all lovely and incredibly thorough, and at least it was picked up, as if it hadn't been spotted she might not be here now.  She has been getting very good care and treatment from all involved and is doing pretty good now.  
We even managed to get out for the day for her 80th birthday last Monday.  
We all went out and became tourists for the day in Burley village 
and a great day we had too, I can definitely recommend Burley as a place you must visit in the New Forest.  One thing in particular that we did was the Burley Wagon Ride which leaves from the Queens Head Pub Car Park regularly and does either 20mins, 30mins or 1 hour tours around the village and surrounding forest.  A very enjoyable experience for all ages and abilities as mum obviously wasn't able to walk too much.  Mum also insisted on going into the Burley Fudge Shop.  We got to try 2 types of fudge, clotted cream which was lovely but obviously a bit on the sweet side, so then she gave us marmite fudge.  Yes marmite, it was actually nice, very unusual but nice.  If you have never tried it you must pop in and give it a go.  We then ended our day at The White Buck Inn for dinner.  
 







We sat in their beautiful garden as the sun was shining.  Our meals were lovely.  They have recently under gone a refurb inside and it is lovely, I always did like this pub but it's even better now. 

The reason why Mum came to stay originally was so that we could take the kids back down to Looe, in Cornwall again. 


 I had managed to book a 3 day weekend break in the Parkdean - Looe Bay site again with the Sun £9.50 offer, as we did last October.  I have to say that although it was nice to get away and be back in Looe, the overall experience in Parkdean to me was not as good as the first time, mainly I think because none of the entertainment crew were the same and last time round they made it for me.  I think if I do the deal again I will try somewhere else next time.   The kids loved it though - which I guess is the main thing and I do really like Looe itself.



The other major event was us bringing home our new kittens, Daisy & Amber.

 They are so adorable and funny.  The kids absolutely love them, so much that they can't leave them be for a minute when they are at home and trying to get the kids to do anything now is a major ordeal, especially getting ready for school in a morning.  You can waste so much time though just sitting with the kittens or even just watching them.  In the last 2 weeks they have grown so much confidence around the house, so much so that they charge around after each other causing a trail of devastation behind them.  They sound like elephants charging around on our wooden floors and they are still only tiny little things.

Other news includes my highly popular jams & marmalades, they sold like hot cakes again this weekend.  Production is going well for both my friends charity stall for the "Lyndhurst Picnic in the Park" in June, and also for my B&B guests.  It has become so talked about, that some of my Twitter followers are trying to persuade me to take part in a jam competition @Jampionships that is held in September of each year.  I have to say that I am a little bit tempted - so watch this space :)

Also last Saturday we were all lucky enough to be invited onto my cousins current cruise ship - Emerald Princess. 
 She has just started the UK & European leg of her rotation which means she docks at Southampton on either a weekly or 2 weekly basis, which for us is great as it's just 15mins down the road.  This ship is apparently a bit smaller than her last one, but to me it was still huge.  The weather was kinder to us this time and Fred & the kids got to make use of the pool and Jacuzzi while Mum & me watched and sunbathed in front of the big screen.  
We were treated to a lovely buffet lunch which basically was eat as much as you can - it was all delicious.  Before we left Jo insisted that we tried the pizza and ice cream too, not that we needed anything else, but we did.  It was a lovely day out again and we couldn't have asked for any more - Thank you Jo.  Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Business is going extremely well for us at the moment with lots of new guests aswell as quite a few regulars coming back again.  I am thoroughly enjoying the taste testing of my homemade preserves and seeing everyone faces light up when they taste them.  I really starting to think that they are making a genuine difference to the overall experience when you stay with us and the recent Tripadvisor comments back this up.  I even had 1 guest stay the other weekend, just to try my jam, as he had read about it on Tripadvisor.  I'm pleased to say that he was impressed enough to take a couple of flavours home with him.  

I am loving my job at the moment and feeling very lucky :)

Why not treat yourself to a short break with us and see what we are really all about, the jam's are good too.

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment